Freelance Contributor
Venezuela’s Foreign Affairs Minister Yván Gil is demanding information from Trinidad and Tobago about the recent oil spill that his government insists originated from Trinidad, as well as compensation for the fallout from it.
Venezuela’s state-run media VTV yesterday reported that Gil said the spill, which emanated from a Heritage Petroleum field, is “extremely serious,” as is “the lack of information” from T&T’s Government, and asserted that they do not know the exact origin, volume and type of hydrocarbons involved from the incident.
“Trinidad and Tobago has an obligation, first and foremost, to immediately report to the Venezuelan government any spill or environmental incident. Secondly, we must have information on the type of product that was spilled and the measures taken to mitigate it,” Gil stated.
The Foreign Affairs Minister demanded “responsibility for this type of event” and asserted that his country has sent various types of communication statements to the T&T Government to assess the impact.
Gil showed satellite images recorded since April 28 that show the spill from Trinidad.
He also said Venezuela has been “working for several weeks” on this “very worrying issue” with teams from the Venezuelan Ministries of Eco-socialism (Environment) and Fisheries and Aquaculture; the state-owned Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), the National Institute of Aquatic Spaces (INEA) and the Navy.
Gil warned of an impact to 1,625 square kilometres in 12 strategic wetland systems in his country, as well as on the activity of more than 500 fishermen. In addition, Gil pointed out that four Venezuelan national parks are at risk.
“There have been operational limitations for the fishing fleet, which generates significant costs and limits marketing. There has been a real economic and environmental impact,” the foreign minister stated, adding that more than 140 fish species were affected in the area, in addition to the mangroves.
He also claimed that this was not the first oil spill from T&T that has affected Venezuela.
“So far, more than 12 tons of hydrocarbon products have been collected and are being analysed,” Gil said, adding that “between 2015 and 2023, more than 876 spills of different types of compounds occurred in the area.”
Contacted for comment on the claim yesterday, Energy and Energy Industries Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said, “We are arranging to have discussions with our Venezuelan counterparts later this week and will sort out all these matters re small oil spill. We have been busy doing the technical and scientific work.”
Two weeks ago, in response to a Venezuelan government communiqué on the oil spill, T&T’s Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries released an account of the incident confirming that Heritage Petroleum detected an oil spill at its main offshore field at approximately 7.25 am on May 1. The ministry reported that oil spill trajectory modelling indicated a risk of untreated hydrocarbons potentially crossing into Venezuelan waters.