Senior Reporter
Opposition Senator Faris Al-Rawi and People’s National Movement deputy leader Sanjiv Boodhu are calling on Land and Legal Affairs Minister Saddam Hosein to directly address mounting concerns linked to LandmarkTT and allegations of nepotism and cronyism.
Speaking with reporters outside Parliament yesterday, Al-Rawi accused Hosein of avoiding scrutiny over the matter and questioned relationships linked to the State housing initiative.
“When is Saddam explaining how his legal partner, the woman who ran in the practice with him when he was there and now, her husband is the CEO of Landmark, his friend, brother. Oh God, it’s sounding like bacchanal as I start to say. They start to connect the dots,” Al-Rawi said.
He further questioned the speed at which projects were allegedly approved and financed.
“These are not small things. A billion dollars here in the HDC, $150 million here. Who gets financing, design, and ability to tender in two weeks for a billion-dollar project?” he asked.
Al-Rawi also dismissed claims that no taxpayers’ money was involved in the arrangement, arguing that State lands themselves carry immense value.
“How on God’s earth can that gentleman say that there’s no State money when the land has money? You take the land, you take a truncated process of a couple weeks, you invite a few people, some of whom now incorporated, you give it out. The land has value,” he said.
He added that private investors would still profit from the use of State resources.
“The odium is that a few people only get to make profit using State resources. So, I’d like to disabuse that dotishness from Saddam Hosein. He is running. He is hiding,” Al-Rawi stated.
Meanwhile, Boodhu said the minister should confront the allegations directly if there is nothing improper to conceal.
“On Tuesday morning, I said right here basically that the minister should be given the benefit of the doubt to have the opportunity to come out and say what is his position. Is there a nepotistic relationship in his appointment or not?” Boodhu said.
He said he initially believed there could have been a reasonable explanation, but accused the minister of sidestepping the issue.
“Lo and behold, seven o’clock news, when I’m watching it, his position is, let me point the finger back at the Office of the Procurement Regulator. Why are you doing that?” he asked.
Boodhu argued that citizens deserved straightforward answers instead of political deflection.
“Is it that you think that the people of this country are so stupid that they’re not going to know that that is a distraction and you have not answered the question? Trinidad is not a society of foolish people. Come out and tell the people the truth and let us move on with the nation’s business,” he said.
The comments came one week after Hosein defended Government’s handling of the LandmarkTT/Allamby housing development project during debate in Parliament.
The minister rejected Opposition claims that State lands had been transferred to developers at a “peppercorn rate” and said he was awaiting findings from the Office of the Procurement Regulator.
Hosein explained that Cabinet approved the establishment of a State land investment and development public-private partnership in November 2025 to accelerate residential housing delivery. In January 2026, Cabinet agreed to incorporate LandmarkTT Properties Ltd to oversee the initiative.
According to Hosein, the State would make lands available to private developers to construct planned gated communities aimed at middle and upper-income earners, while retaining ownership of the lands through LandmarkTT.
“It’s absolutely untrue that lands were transferred to the developer at ‘peppercorn rate.’ The current model is that LandmarkTT, being the holding company of lands, will make the lands available to the developer but not transfer title of the lands to the developer,” Hosein said in Parliament last Friday.
He also accused the previous PNM administration of engaging in similar arrangements involving prime State lands.