The T&T Police Service yesterday confirmed that Carnival 2026 recorded the lowest number of serious crimes in the past six years.
During their post-Carnival media briefing at the TTPS Administration Building in Port-of-Spain, the police said there were 19 reported serious crimes for Carnival, compared to 62 last year.
Carnival Gold Commander, DCP Suzette Martin, said 25 people were arrested and one firearm with five rounds of ammunition was recovered.
She said there were 908 patrols conducted, 135 coordinated operations and targeted exercises, with 241 fixed penalty notices issued for serious road traffic accidents, including two road fatalities, while 25.38 grammes of narcotics were seized.
One murder and three shootings were recorded in downtown Port-of-Spain during Carnival Monday festivities.
A woman was also sexually assaulted in a mas band in Woodbrook, while a 26-year-old woman was sexually assaulted after attending a fete in Chaguaramas on Carnival Sunday.
Martin said the police would supply the confirmed figures at a later date.
Asked what contributed to the massive reduction, ACP Garvin Henry said, “I’d be tempted to say that it’s fantastic police work, which I undoubtedly believe that it is, but I am not a statistician or criminologist but there may be other factors right, and this is still being assessed and analysed by our Crime and Problem Analysis (CAPA) department, right.
“To venture into guessing, I do not want to mislead the public but rest assured that diligent police work and leadership by the gold commander and the commissioner is an important part of us realising these figures.”
BOX
YEAR*SERIOUS OFFENCES RECORDED
2020: 60
2021: 74
2022: 79
2023: 56
2024: 53 Police look on after they detained a man during J’Ouvert celebrations at the Eastern Main Road, Tunapuna on Monday.