Senior Reporter
The protective agencies responsible for preserving the safety of citizens during the Carnival celebrations have largely praised the public for observing the regulations and adhering to the law.
However, while senior Government officials acknowledged the several homicides between Friday and yesterday, Commissioner of Police (CoP) Allister Guevarro maintained they were not related to the festivities.
Insisting their security blanket achieved the desired results, Guevarro’s claim was supported by Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander and Defence Minister Wayne Sturge, who expressed satisfaction with the security measures put in place.
Up to 10.30 am yesterday, Guevarro reported, “We have had no further reports of any Carnival-related events.”
Commending the public for adhering to the warnings, he added, “Bar a few who decided to still drink alcohol and drive, it is one of the reasons we are having accidents, both fatal and otherwise.”
He appealed to parents to keep a careful eye on their teenage charges, as quite a few had been found to be mixing alcohol with psychotropic drugs. The CoP indicated this had led to a few people being rendered unconscious and needing to be taken to medical stations and others behaving in a disorderly manner.
And despite the “extra-long” duty roster throughout the Carnival season, Guevarro said he was pleased with the turnout by officers from the various security agencies, including the Prison Service, Fire Service, Coast Guard and Defence Force.
Asked if an early wrap-up to the Carnival festivities yesterday had been considered, the top cop said the public’s behaviour would have been the deciding factor.
“When they start fighting and behaving in a disorderly manner, police would have no choice but to lock it down. If they decide to behave in a good way, you know, enjoy the Carnival vibes, they could party till 11.59,” he said.
In reference to the latest murder that occurred on Monday night in La Horquetta, Guevarro said that was not Carnival-related.
He said the security apparatus had been working. Referencing a fatal stabbing along Ariapita Avenue, Woodbrook, and a shooting in Port-of-Spain, during the J’Ouvert celebrations on Saturday, he claimed, “That had nothing to do with the Carnival. That had to do with gang violence.”
Guevarro said the spillover rivalry from warring communities had made its way into the celebrations, marring the festivities somewhat.
Asked if he was satisfied with the security arrangements during the Carnival festivities, Homeland Security Minister Alexander said, “I am quite satisfied with the efforts from the national security perspective and the majority of our citizens. I am really impressed.”
Regarding the homicides, Alexander called for accountability in relation to what he called “despicable acts” that continue to be perpetrated against law-abiding citizens.
“Society, our country, communities, law enforcement, the judiciary, in other words, all citizens and its people, must hold those persons that intend to disrupt and commit criminal offences against its people ... we must hold them accountable and it is not a policing thing. It’s an all of society thing and that is the direction we are going.”
Asked if the kind of policing that had been implemented for Carnival could be sustained in the long term, Alexander assured, “Of course.”
He added, “Attempts would be made. We are humans. We are not AI. So, we will suffer from burnouts and different things. How you manage your manpower resources is important to how you go forward and how you will continue this journey in this fight.”
Also coming in for high praise from their line minister, Sturge, were T&T Defence Force members.
“We are, in essence, giving a sort of buffer to the police in terms of numbers,” Sturge said.
He said a comparison of this year’s security apparatus to previous years would show there had been only one untoward incident.
“You would understand, no part in the world the police could be omnipresent so that one incident on J’Ouvert morning is the only incident of significant note.”
Referring to the La Horquetta murder on Monday, he said, “The police and the entire security apparatus has done well so far, so I am very satisfied.”
Congratulating Guevarro and the Carnival Gold Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Operations) Suzette Martin, for overseeing a successful season, Sturge smilingly declared, “I think they have done a good job.”
He too did not rule out a long-term arrangement being put in place, as he said CCTV cameras along the nation’s roads were also an avenue which could help in the reduction of crime generally.
Chief Fire Officer Andy Hutchinson meanwhile said they had recorded an uptick in the number of road traffic accidents but was unable to say if they were the result of alcohol consumption, vehicular defects and/or reckless driving.