Stephon Nicholas
As concerns escalate over the disruption to the cargo service on the seabridge, Tobago businesses have suffered yet another commercial blow.
The MV Blue Wave Harmony failed to set sail for Scarborough at the scheduled 9.30 pm departure time yesterday, leaving dozens of truckers - with their goods already loaded - frustrated.
Earlier that day, the Port Authority defended its management of the seabridge since the Cabo Star exited on January 12. It outlined the contingency measures in place and noted the Blue Wave Harmony's schedule for the remainder of the month. Loading of the vessel was scheduled from 10 am to 2 pm, with sailing scheduled for seven and a half hours later.
Minister of Works and Infrastructure Jearlean John today confirmed to Guardian Media that the vessel did not depart Port of Spain, but said this was not abnormal. She said a press release will indicate when the vessel will finally set sail.
However, former Minority Leader Kelvon Morris said he was "deeply concerned" by the litany of issues since the vessel arrived on January 22.
He posted on Facebook, "We have now seen a troubling pattern. There was the reported damage while docking in Tobago, the delay in docking due to bad weather, the earlier ramp arm failure, and now the vessel’s inability to depart Port of Spain, affecting dozens of trucks and the wider supply chain. This is no longer an isolated issue. It is a series of problems that is placing real strain on businesses, families, and the cost of living in Tobago."
Morris said it is becoming harder to source basic items on the islands such as bread and butter.
"Imagine trucks loaded with perishable goods such as meat and other food items sitting in limbo. Who will compensate these business owners for losses incurred? And what will be the long term impact on Tobago’s economy if this level of disruption continues?"
He called on Tobago to put politics aside as this was now a matter of survival.
Morris said with reports of a US$25,000 per day lease for the vessel, a better service is to be expected.
"Are we getting value for money from a vessel that increasingly appears not fit for purpose?
"I am calling on the Government to urgently clarify the status of the cargo ferry procurement process and to provide a clear timeline for delivery. Tobago deserves reliability, transparency, and decisive action."
PNM Tobago Council leader Ancil Dennis said he was keenly observing Tobagonians' reaction to the situation.
"Since January 12, Tobago has been without a reliable cargo vessel; a matter that affects every shelf, every business, and every household.
"Not a word from Tobago’s decisively elected leadership. Not a word from their friends in Trinidad. And more tellingly, not a word from Tobagonians.
"I therefore respectfully assume that the present situation reflects the standard of service Tobagonians now find acceptable. I will continue to observe."