Jesse Ramdeo
Senior Reporter
Opposition Senator Melanie Roberts-Radgman has expressed sadness over the disappearance of two-year-old Angelo Tobias-Plaza, saying the incident has cast a heavy cloud over Tobago and sparked broader concerns about the safety and protection of children.
A seventh suspect was held in connection with the disappearance of Angelo. According to police, the investigation is now at a sensitive stage.
The child’s mother, Kalifah Tobias, 22, and her boyfriend, Shannon Miller, 25, remain in police custody after being detained on Friday afternoon.
Police confirmed both have been held at separate police stations for questioning.
Speaking with reporters outside Parliament yesterday, Roberts-Radgman, who is from Tobago, said the island has been gripped by anxiety and heartbreak since news emerged last week that the toddler had gone missing.
She said Tobago’s response reflected the deep concern felt across communities, with residents mobilising to search, pray and hold vigils in the hope of finding the child safely.
“It’s been all of Tobago holding its breath,” she said, noting that as time has passed, the atmosphere has grown increasingly sombre.
Roberts-Radgman described the unfolding situation as heartbreaking, saying every new development has deepened the sadness felt across the island.
“This has hung a heavy cloud over Tobago. It’s the only thing people are concerned about right now,” she said.
She said the case has resonated well beyond Tobago, touching people throughout Trinidad and raising urgent questions about child welfare.
She said the incident points to a broader national conversation that must take place about how children are protected and how relatives, neighbours and communities respond when signs emerge that a child may be in danger.
However, she stressed that the immediate priority remains finding answers surrounding Angelo’s disappearance.
Roberts-Radgman also addressed the controversy surrounding the recent environmental approval granted to Superior Hotels Ltd for a major tourism development at Rocky Point.
The Environmental Management Authority (EMA) recently granted a Certificate of Environmental Clearance for the proposed $500 million, 200-room development, which includes bungalows, villas and private residences across nearly 12 hectares.
The project is expected to create hundreds of jobs during construction and add a 3.5-star resort to Tobago’s tourism product.
However, the approval has drawn criticism from Rocky Point Foundation founder Duane Kenny, who said he was disappointed by the decision after years of advocacy to protect what the group considers an environmentally sensitive area.
Responding to the issue, Roberts-Radgman said while Tobago welcomes development and recognises the importance of expanding its tourism sector, environmental preservation must remain a priority.
She called for further consultation among stakeholders, including the Tobago House of Assembly, environmental authorities and community groups, to ensure concerns are properly heard and addressed.
“We do want development, and we care about tourism, but we also care about preserving our environment and our natural resources,” she said.
Roberts-Radgman said the concerns raised are legitimate and expressed hope that meaningful dialogue will take place before the project moves forward, ensuring any environmental risks are fully considered and mitigated.