Former Mayaro MP Rushton Paray has accused the current administration of applying “double standards” on freedom of speech, arguing that the Government’s recent actions mirror complaints once made by the Opposition when it sat on the other side of Parliament.
In a detailed public statement, Paray said his review of political developments between February 16, 2016 and February 16, 2026 identified at least six instances in which the then-Opposition accused the Government of restricting or manipulating political speech and media access.
He cited calls in September 2019 for repeal of the Sedition Act, claims of political persecution linked to freedom of expression, and allegations in July 2021 that media access to government events had been restricted. He also referenced warnings in January 2023 about a drift toward one-party dominance, as well as complaints during the March 2025 election period that media houses were pressured to limit Opposition advertising and that the State broadcaster restricted Opposition airtime.
Paray said those examples demonstrated a clear pattern: parties in Opposition often frame the sitting Government as suppressing dissent. However, he argued that the same standards must apply when roles reverse.
Without naming specific officials, he pointed to a recent controversy involving a State broadcaster and the muting of politically charged content, as well as a radio station incident in which a manager was allegedly heard on a live feed claiming an artiste’s microphone had been muted.
“The problem is not technical complexity,” Paray said. “The problem is inconsistency.”
He maintained that freedom of expression cannot be “selective” or dependent on who holds office, urging the Government to act “publicly, transparently and consistently” in defence of constitutional rights.
Paray added that while citizens may disagree with his position, respectful debate must be protected.