RADHICA DE SILVA
Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhi[email protected]
Midnight Mas in San Fernando was abruptly shut down by police just over an hour before midnight on Carnival Monday, sparking outrage among masqueraders, band leaders and city officials.
The event, one of the South’s signature Carnival attractions outside of J’Ouvert, had been scheduled to end at 1 am. However, approximately 10.55 pm, music trucks were ordered to cut the sound and bands were forced to disperse.
San Fernando Mayor Robert Harris took to social media shortly after, expressing his frustration.
“So Midnight Mas which was agreed to be shut down at 1am in San Fernando has been shut down at 10:55pm by TTPS … I will be responsible with my utterances, and hopefully we can get some straight answers!!!” Harris wrote.
He added, “To the masqueraders I apologize on behalf of the San Fernando Carnival Committee. This Carnival will truly be remembered, continue to enjoy what’s left of Carnival responsibly.”
Among the registered bands participating in Midnight Mas were Midnight Jammers led by Curtis Williams, 2 Minx Promotions headed by Tamika Noel, Rebel Nation under Marcus Baptist, South Is D Bess led by Lesa Gonzales, M.O.S Carnival headed by Addae Seon, Soleil Jouvert led by Darian Abhiram, Inception managed by Darren and Devon Harris, Rize Events & Rum Vagrants led by Joel Lakatoo and Sheldon Alexander, and Fonclaire Steel Orchestra under Gene Harrison.
The shutdown also disrupted a Pan on D Move competition organised by Skiffle Bunch Pan Theatre on Coffee Street. Several steelpan orchestras were scheduled to perform when the event was halted.
One steelband organiser said thousands of dollars had been spent preparing for the competition, including transportation, tuning and logistics.
A Night Mas competition on Harris Promenade was also affected.
As news of the shutdown spread, several people took to social media to express criticism.
Claire Gloria Sandy wrote, “No respect for South people, so many people came out just to hear pan. This need to stop. We the citizens of San Fernando wants the same respect given to POS after all we are the second City of this Country.”
Akallia Bruno commented, “Every year it’s the same thing that’s why I stopped playing midnight mas because police even stops the truck and let the dj turn off the music.”
Anjanie Pancham questioned, “People spend thousands of dollars to come and enjoy carnival in Trinidad, why are they doing this to the people? Once a year they planned their vacation yearly in advance why do this to the people? Let them enjoy their time. Did the police get orders to lock down Carnival and from who.”
Candice Snell-Hamilton described the move as “a total disrespect to band leaders, masquerades, spectators, even vendors,” adding that people invested time and money to keep the culture alive despite limited funding.
Meanwhile, Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro has maintained that there is a “security blanket” across the country for Carnival. He has warned that officers will act decisively against anyone attempting to bring weapons into Carnival festivities.
A senior police officer said security issues had prompted the early shutdown. He said this has been done in the past by the police and is customary anytime there is a threat.