Senior Reporter
Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister Nicholas Morris has pushed back against mounting criticism following the audio disruption that affected former Calypso Monarch Helon Francis during Sunday’s Dimanche Gras show, declaring that the governing United National Congress is not afraid of critique.
The incident, which saw Francis’ audio cut mid-performance during his rendition of Doh Forget, triggered backlash from cultural groups, political opponents and members of the public, with some alleging censorship. But speaking at yesterday’s post-Cabinet media briefing, Morris dismissed those claims and defended both the Government and the state broadcaster TTT.
“The UNC has received bashing from calypsonians for over 20 to 25 years. There is no need to mute a mic to not hear what he has to say. This party and this Prime Minister and leader has stood up to take ridicule, to take bashing from many people in society,” Morris said.
In a remark that appeared aimed at the Opposition People’s National Movement, Morris added: “We are not the last administration who ran from the country. We will accept the criticism, we will work hard.”
While offering an apology to Francis for the disruption, Morris rejected calls by the Emancipation Support Committee and other sectors of society for an independent probe into the matter.
“When the issue occurred, we contacted the CEO. The CEO and technical team provided a report on the issue and for those calling for an independent investigation into this, the staff at TTT Limited are independent. They weren’t hired by the UNC, we met them there and we will not allow people to tarnish the staff at TTT, firstly. There is no need for an independent investigation because the team at TTT, we met there, and they provided that report.”
Morris noted that technical failures are not unprecedented. He referenced a similar audio cut in 2024 when then Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar experienced an interruption while speaking at Divali Nagar in Chaguanas, underscoring his point that such incidents are not politically targeted.
Addressing concerns raised about statements made by the Prime Minister in response to the controversy, Morris said her comments had been mischaracterised.
“In terms of their comments against the Prime Minister’s statement, the Prime Minister did not say calypso was divisive. The Prime Minister did not condemn calypso. Calypso is part of our national history, heritage and patrimony and I am proud of calypso. But the Prime Minister highlighted the fact that at times, there have been issues that have been divisive — not calypso itself but some of the artistes. We stand with the Prime Minister’s statement.”
Asked whether the Government was prepared to release the Dante network log to support its claim that the interruption was not deliberate, Morris was unequivocal.
“We have put it out as a Dante router issue. That issue is now dead.”