Controversy at Dimanche Gras: Helon Francis challenges TTT over audio loss; PM denies censorship
Senior Political Reporter
Government has pleaded “no censorship”, and state-owned Trinidad and Tobago Television (TTT) has apologised to viewers for the loss of audio during former Calypso Monarch Helon Francis’s performance at Sunday’s Dimanche Gras show—but Francis is not convinced.
“It’s rather coincidental that something like that could have happened while a song that speaks to the same thing is being performed,” Francis said yesterday.
This follows queries from TTT viewers of Sunday’s show about why Francis could not be heard during his performance.
Opposition MP Stuart Young also called out the Government yesterday, questioning alleged censorship.
Francis’s contribution had been highly anticipated, as he was defending the title he won in 2025 with To Whom It May Be. He also won the title in 2018 with Change. Sunday’s competition would have been the debut of his 2026 offering Don’t Forget.
However, minutes into Francis’s performance, he could not be heard on the TTT broadcast, although he could be seen performing. When audio returned, the host of the TTT programme, Wendy Lewis, apologised but did not explain why Francis’s audio had not been transmitted.
Yesterday, Young said there have been serious allegations of interference grounded in censorship in the 2026 Calypso competition: “With calypsonians whose songs provided traditional political and social commentary being mysteriously eliminated from progressing to the finals at Dimanche Gras.
“What we witnessed during Helon Francis’s performance, with a sudden loss of audio on the state-run TTT live television feed, was disturbing at minimum and censorship, akin to dictatorship, at the next level.”
Young also cited issues with a WACK 90.1 FM livestream. He added, “The UNC Government cannot censor our free speech and democratic rights to engage in political and social commentary, including criticism of their abysmal lack of proper governance … censorship has no place in T&T.
“The Kamla Persad-Bissessar Government’s record since May 1, 2025, is indicative of dangerous signs of dictatorship. We will not sit quietly and idly by, allowing the UNC to use and abuse state resources and institutions to censor our free speech, expression and culture,” Young added, congratulating calypsonians.
Culture Minister Michelle Benjamin told Guardian Media that technical difficulties at TTT caused the lack of audio and said it was not intentional. “It didn’t affect the judging, but it was sad that it happened,” Benjamin added.
TTT subsequently issued a statement yesterday saying, “TTT Ltd sincerely apologises to viewers for the audio interruption that occurred during Helon Francis’s performance of the National Calypso Monarch finals on Sunday night at the Dimanche Gras.
“We understand how important this moment was for the artiste and for the many viewers at home, and we regret that the broadcast was disrupted. At no time did TTT purposefully cut the audio but rather experienced a Dante system failure.
“Engineers and audio technicians successfully restored the signal at approximately 10.45 pm, ensuring the remainder of the Dimanche Gras presentation continued without further incident. Unfortunately, because the issue occurred at the audio source, there was no clean recording available, which meant we were unable to provide an immediate playback of the performance as has been done during such events.”
The statement summarised the incident but did not specifically apologise to Francis.
Yesterday, Francis told Guardian Media that he had been unaware that his composition was not being heard by people outside of the Queen’s Park Savannah. “It was only when I came off the stage that people told me what happened. But in truth, it’s not something one couldn’t have seen coming.
“No one is blind. It’s very easy to see what happened. And I also have to say it’s rather coincidental that something like that could have happened while a song that speaks to the same thing is being performed,” Francis added.
“Everyone can see what happened. So no—I’m not convinced. But I’ll continue to be someone who will express the views which speak the people’s truth to the powers. It doesn’t matter who is in power and what the situation is.
“That’s what I’m supposed to do. No one is immune. It doesn’t matter who it is. My job is to report the feelings and the essence of the country, to bring perspectives that I detect,” Francis added.
“There should be no reason for my ability as a calypsonian to be challenged—it shouldn’t be that way. There are reasons why a government has an opposition, and that is to balance the scales and challenge whatever narrative may be put forward. That’s their job.
“The job of a calypsonian is to convey the messages. You’re not supposed to have to think twice or hesitate about what you’re going to say,” he said.
He felt that a number of contestants in the calypso competition tamped down presentations this year for reasons beyond him.
“A lot of great calypsonians didn’t get into the finals. But I’m not taking away from those who competed; they all deserved their praise. Terri Lyons’s performance deserved that crown and every bit of what she got. In my case, I’m just satisfied once the message was received by the powers that be—and the people.”
Yesterday, evening Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar spoke about the controversial audio drop on Facebook. She denied there was any attempt to censor calypsonians.
“Sorry to break this news to my loving and dedicated haters but NO one has to censor calypso because over the years, political stooges masquerading as calypsonians censored calypso themselves by alienating the majority of the population with their hateful diatribes. Soca fetes are sold out by the thousands every day from January to Carnival Tuesday but a calypso tent can’t even sell 100 tickets on its best night. That’s because the majority of citizens have moved on from that type of divisiveness and negativity, people just want to enjoy themselves and be happy.
“Singers like Terri Lyons and Yung Bredda are saving the calypso art form with songs grounded in social consciousness and reality. Terri Lyons showed how great calypso could be last night. Congratulations Terri, our beautiful 2026 calypso queen. Her song was emotional, real, inspiring, and unifying. People should celebrate her victory instead of chasing wild conspiracies to push political agendas.”
Earlier in the day, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Nicholas Morris, who responded after Young’s post on Facebook, pointed out that TTT’s explanation added, “At no time was the audio intentionally or nefariously cut. This was a technical difficulty which we’ve seen TTT experience even before this Government took office. In 2024, similar circumstances occurred when then-opposition leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar, SC, was addressing the Divali Nagar and TTT suffered technical difficulties, leading to her entire live presentation being interrupted.”
Morris added, “However, an apology must be extended to viewers and, more so, to the talented Helon Francis.”
TTT’s statement apologising to viewers—minus mention of apologising to Francis—was issued at 11.10 am.
At 1.07 pm, the OPM issued Morris’s statement with the addition: “Any claim of censorship or nefarious action must be rejected. TTT and its management have issued an apology to viewers, Mr Francis and all those affected.”
WACK 90.1 FM owner Kenny Phillips said on Sunday night he had received “endless texts” that Francis’s audio was muted, and he went to WACK announcers DJ Aaron 868 and Meguella Simon to tell them so. “We were puzzled, we didn’t know why. People in the Savannah were hearing, but our listeners were not. I told our announcers, as talk was going around, that we ‘muted the mic’. But we couldn’t do so as we weren’t in charge of the technical aspects.”
On why the station’s feed later went down, Phillips said it was stopped by the YouTube channel the station uses. He said that was due to “suspicious and harmful content.”
He said, “They don’t understand what we’re doing culturally, as the same thing happened last week when they blocked our stickfighting finals coverage. I’m having talks with YouTube for them to understand what we’re doing so we can put it back up.”
If yuh politics start to look untrue
If yuh own voters losing trust in you
You could do what you want with what intent too
You could bad talk the Independent benches
You could change the country that we once know
But doh forget, this is Trinbago