Senior Political Reporter
A complaint seeking investigation of a second LandmarkTT Properties Ltd housing development project - this time at Beaucarro, Couva - has been sent to the Office of Procurement Regulator Beverly Khan.
The complaint was sent to the OPR on Monday by Moruga activist Edward Collins. He is represented by attorney Kareem Marcelle, Opposition People’s National Movement Laventille West MP. Marcelle also wrote the OPR.
Collins’ complaint addressed alleged “irregularities” in LandmarkTT Properties Limited’s procurement process for provision of Design-Build-Finance (DBF) services for the construction of single-family homes at the Beaucarro Residential Development Package A.
However, Land and Legal Affairs Minister Saddam Hosein yesterday fired a verbal “shot” in the OPR’s direction in response to Guardian Media’s queries about Collins’ complaint.
Collins’ complaint on the Beaucarro project follows an April 18 complaint to the OPR by Congress of the People’s member Wendell Eversely and attorney/ex-PNM MP Randall Mitchell. They sought and investigation into the procurement process undertaken by LandmarkTT concerning the Allamby residential development in San Fernando. That probe is currently being undertaken by the OPR
Collins’ complaint to the OPR on the Beaucarro development requested an investigation into the pre-qualification and ongoing procurement concerning the provision of DBF services for construction of the homes.
The OPR was urged to consider if immediate suspension of the ongoing procurement process is justified, as there may be an alleged “breach of the Act.”
Citing LandmarkTT’s May 8 letter for a Request for Proposals (RFP), Collins said it came to his attention that LandmarkTT has commenced procurement utilising the selective tender process via the May 8 RFP. That enunciated a closing date and time of June 5th, 2026, at 2 pm.
Citing concern, “with the legality, propriety and integrity of an ongoing procurement exercise,” Collins alleged the value of the proposed award for the project was over $150 million.
He claimed a mandatory site visit for six shortlisted proponents to the Beaucarro Development was conducted by LandmarkTT on May 14th at 10 am.
“The bypass of open bidding in lieu of selective tendering for a project of this magnitude, which involves critical national infrastructure, appears to restrict competition rather than to manage project complexity.
“The fact that suitably qualified and experienced contractors registered in the Procurement Depository were not invited to tender undermines the principles of transparency, accountability and value for money and is wholly incompatible with the spirit and letter of the Act,” Collins claimed.
He urged an investigation into whether the pre-qualification and, thereafter, participation of shortlisted proponents in the procurement is justified under existing procurement law.
Collins queried how LandmarkTT determined the structure and timeline of this procurement process, what steps were taken to ensure that participation was not unduly restricted; and what specific criteria/rationale informed the decision to adopt selective tendering. He alleged the selective methodology utilised could result in poor value for money.
Collins cited further concern that after the OPR’s April 20, 2026, letter to LandmarkTT on the selective tendering process used in the Allamby Project, “... the structure and timing of the procurement for the Beaucarro Development, the pre-qualification conditions imposed on participation by LandmarkTT, which have been previously addressed by the Office, highlight blatant disdain for both the Procurement Regulator and Procurement Regulation.”
Given the trend of LandmarkTT’s previous and ongoing conduct, Collins said the Procurement Act (Section 6) provides that procurement not conducted in accordance with the act is void and illegal.
“The fact that there appears to be an absence of meaningful disclosure as to evaluation criteria to shortlist proponents in both the Allamby Development and now the Beaucarro Development, discloses a pattern of concern sufficient to justify regulatory scrutiny,” he claimed.
Guardian Media’s emailed queries to the OPR on Collins’ letter received no reply. Nor was there a reply to calls to LandmarkTT’s CEO Nischall Shane Poona.
When contacted yesterday on Collins’ complaint against LandmarkTT, Hosein admitted to being unaware of it.
Hosein said, “I’m not aware of any complaints being filed. However, if that is so, the PNM is free to object to every single project that LandmarkTT does.
“These projects are entirely funded by the developer and no taxpayer money is being spent and no state land is being transferred. Therefore, it’s passing strange that the OPR board and regulator had no issues with selective tendering under the PNM’s term in office, where billions of taxpayer dollars were being spent.”
Hosein added, “It’s also passing strange the number of complaints the OPR and its regulator ignored or neglected to investigate under the PNM’s term. Very soon, all information will come to light and the OPR board and regulator will have many questions to answer. In the meantime, I look forward to responses from the OPR, which we will definitely compare to their actions and responses to complaints during the PNM’s term in office.
“LandmarkTT will continue to work towards engaging developers to construct homes for sale to citizens at no cost to the taxpayers.”
Cabinet dealt with the Beaucarro project in April.
CABINET MINUTE NO. 894 OF APRIL 9, 2026
Conveyance to LandmarkTT Properties Limited of a Parcel of State Land situate at Beaucarro Village, Couva, for the Development of Residential Accommodation
Note LLA(26)27, together with the recommendations of the Finance and General Purposes Committee, was considered.
Cabinet agreed:
(a) to vary the decision recorded in sub-paragraph(a) of Minute No. 825 of March 28, 2013, to provide for the conveyance of the site known as Beaucarro to LandmarkTT Properties Limited (LandmarkTT) instead of to the Land Settlement Agency (Minute No. 111 of January 16, 2026 is relevant);
(b) to the conveyance, by the issuance of a State Grant in favour of LandmarkTT, of the parcel of State land known as Beaucarro, comprising approximately 105,387.3 square metres (m2), situate at Beaucarro Village, in the Ward of Couva, County of Caroni, identified in registered Plan JR 28 filed in the vault of the Surveys and Mapping Division, Ministry of Land and Legal Affairs;
(c) that the consideration for the State Grant in respect of (b) above be in the sum of $100.00;
(d) that the Office of the Attorney General cause to be prepared and registered the instrument of conveyance of Beaucarro to LandmarkTT.