Leader of the Opposition Pennelope Beckles has called on Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to intervene in the cargo seabridge issues affecting Tobago.
In a statement on Sunday, Beckles said Tobago residents are facing increases in food prices following disruptions in cargo operations. She referenced reports of shortages and the doubling of egg prices.
Beckles questioned the response of Chief Secretary Farley Augustine, stating that 24 hours had passed without comment from him on the issue. She also criticised Minister of Works Rohan Sinanan over the handling of the cargo operation involving the MV Blue Wave Harmony.
Beckles said the Government did not take steps to secure a replacement vessel before the end of the MV Cabo Star lease. She noted that the Cabo Star left service on January 12 and that the Blue Wave Harmony arrived on January 22. She added that the vessel was damaged on January 30 during berthing manoeuvres in Tobago while on sea trials.
According to Beckles, the State is paying US$25,500 per day for the vessel. She asked who owns the Blue Wave Harmony and what contingency plans were in place before the end of the Cabo Star lease.
Beckles said businesses in Tobago are reporting difficulty sourcing basic goods. She stated that one business reported losses exceeding one million dollars in the last month. She also said truckers are unable to operate with certainty and families are concerned about the arrival of supplies.
Beckles called on the Government to provide an account of the events surrounding the vessel and to outline a plan to ensure the movement of cargo to and from Tobago.
Related News
Alexander says no major adjustment to Govt’s anti-crime plan ahead
Foreign national arrested in ketamine seizure in Arouca
Eustace, Omalo have retained Carnival King and Queen titles