CaribWorldNews, BASSETERRE, St. Kitts, Tues. Nov. 23, 2010: Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruises have both reinstated their mid-week scheduled port calls to St. Kitts and Nevis, authorities said yesterday.
Princess Cruises and Carnival Cruise Lines will resume their original schedules despite a decision last week to bypass the country because of a robbery on a bus load of cruise passengers.
Authorities in St. Kitts and Nevis moved swiftly to arrest four individuals and charge three in connection to the robbery less than 36 hours after the attack.
`I am happy to advise that Princess Cruises will resume its schedule of calls effective with the next calls of the Grand Princess and Emerald Princess on December 1st. We appreciate everything St. Kitts has done to mitigate this most unfortunate and unusual situation.` Steve Nielsen, V.P. Caribbean and Atlantic Shore Operations, Princess Cruises, said in a statement Monday.
`Based on our confidence in the ability of St. Kitts to provide a safe and secure environment for our cruise guests as well as crew members visiting the island, I am pleased to advise that Carnival Cruise Lines is returning to St. Kitts effective Friday, November 26th with the call of the Carnival Victory.` Gordon Buck, V. P. Caribbean Relations, Carnival Cruise Lines, added.
Meanwhile, St. Kitts and Nevis` Tourism Minister Ricky Skerritt has confirmed that all cruise lines currently calling at St. Kitts have reconfirmed their intention to maintain their schedules based on the swift implementation of additional security measures in the tourist areas.
According to the minister, the fact that this was an isolated event, combined with the swift arrest and the November 18th charging of the five robbery suspects, also made the reinstatement of cruise schedules more likely.